Thursday, May 4, 1865

Morehead City, North Carolina

I sailed from Charleston to Morehead City. I received this message from Schofield sent at 10:50 a.m. this morning:

I have just learned from Wilmington that you have passed Fort Fisher toward Morehead. The paroling of Johnston’s army and delivery of arms have been completed and his troops started south yesterday. The most of the North Carolina troops went home without waiting for their paroles. General Johnston thinks about 800 cavalry went south, refusing to accept the terms. He thinks they want to go to Mexico. My paroling officers think the number paroled will amount to 30,000. I will make full reports as soon as practicable. The paroled men from both Johnston’s and Lee’s armies are plundering to some extent, otherwise all is quiet. I am in telegraphic communication with Richmond and Washington. No important news from the North. All well.
J. M. SCHOFIELD, Major-General

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, In the Field, Morehead City, May 4, 1865. 8:30 p. m.
General SCHOFIELD, Raleigh:
Am just arrived from Savannah, whence I sent two boat loads of stores to Augusta for General Wilson. General Gillmore will send a brigade to Augusta and one to Orangeburg. All well to the south but anxious to know what manner of Government, they are to have. At Hilton Head I got New York papers of the 28th containing Halleck’s perfidious order to disregard my truce. I will attend to him in time. Has it embarrassed you in your affairs? Report to me how all things are and I will remain here as long as you want. I can, if necessary, come up, but would like to reach City Point, Va., a few days before the arrival of my army. If you are in telegraphic communication with General Wilson tell him I want him to do right regardless of the confusion likely to ensue from Halleck’s impertinent inteference with my business.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General, Commanding

RALEIGH, May 4, 1865.
Major-General SHERMAN:
I have just received your dispatch of 8:30 p.m. I had telegraphed you on hearing of your passing Fort Fisher. Halleck’s order must have been countermanded, for I have heard nothing of his troops in this State. I went to Greensborough on 2nd and returned yesterday. Concluded satisfactory all details with General Johnston. I have a dispatch to you from General Wilson, dated at Macon, April 30, saying he had disregarded the order to resume hostilities, it being of an earlier dated than yours. I send you the dispatch. No doubt he has received your orders sent after Johnston’s surrender and acted upon them, but I think I can communicate with him yet. Do you what anything sent to him besides that contained in your dispatch of this evening? No important news from the North. All well.
J. M. SCHOFIELD, Major-General

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, In the Field, Morehead City, N. C., May 4, 1865. 12 p.m.
I am very glad all things are so well. I think my orders to General Wilson, both from Raleigh and Savannah, are full and complete. Yet I think you had better communicate with him the fact that boats have gone to Augusta with stores for him; also, that his orders are, after paroling all Confederates in his neighborhood, to break up arms and destroy munitions and conduct his command to Decatur, Ala.
I will probably leave for City Point tomorrow, and will be obliged for any further details before starting. I will write you fully from City Point, but probably will not have occasion to make any more orders.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General

General PALMER, New Berne:
Am just up from Savannah. All well to the south. I have seen Halleck’s perfidious and infamous order to disregard my truce. He is a brave general to pursue so fiercely an army that he knows did not intend to fight, but to surrender or run. I await here reports from General Schofield before going up to meet my army marching for Richmond. Has General Webster gone with my headquarters? If not, tell him to report by telegraph whether he has embarked yet. If not, I will have him come down to this boat, the Russia.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General

NEW BERNE, May 4, 1865.
Major General W. T. SHERMAN, Morehead City:
General Webster and other members of your staff left two days since for Alexandria. I would be too glad to have you come up here. Chief Justice Chase came up today, and he is staying with me tonight. He goes down tomorrow at 8 a. m., and he is making a grand tour to Wilmington, Charleston, New Orleans, &c. If you do not come up I think I shall go down to see you.
I. N. PALMER, Brigadier-General

I telegraphed General Grant informing him of my arrival:
MOREHEAD CITY, N. C., May 4, 1865. 9 p.m
Lieutenant General U. S. GRANT, Washington:
Just arrived from Savannah. All well in that quarter. Sent two boats with stores for Wilson up to Augusta. Gillmore will occupy Augusta and Orangeburg. The two brigades from here have sailed for Savannah. Have you any reason why I should longer submit to the insult contained in Halleck’s dispatch in the New York papers of the 28th? I will go to City Point in a few days. Answer me there.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General

MOREHEAD CITY, N. C., May 4, 1865. 9:30 p. m.
General EASTON, Petersburg, Va.:
I am here. As soon as I confer freely with Schofield I will come to City Point. Make room for me there.
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General, Commanding

MOREHEAD CITY, May 4, 1865. 9:30 p.m.
Mr. O’BRIEN, Raleigh:
You will report to me what caused the delay in repairing the line through to Petersburg which I authorized. Did any person at Petersburg or Washington put obstacles in the way because a part of the line was not in our control?
W. T. SHERMAN, Major-General, Commanding

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s